|BRIDWELL HOME | SMU LIBRARY CATALOG | SMU ONLINE RESOURCES| SITE MAP | ASK US||HOURS|
The A.V. Lane Museum Collection
The A.V. Lane Museum Collection is named in honor of Dallas collector Dr. Alvin Valentine Lane (1860--1938). In 1917 he began donating his collection to SMU, and in 1926 the University opened the SMU museum later named in his honor. Old Kirby Hall (Now Florence Hall) housed the Museum from 1926-1946. After Dr. Lane's death in 1938, SMU Theology professor J. H. Hicks was named Director of the Lane Museum. Assisted by Kate Warnick, longtime SMU librarian, Dr. Hicks oversaw significant additions to the collections, including the 1941 purchase of four Egyptian canopic jars. The last significant addition to the Lane Museum was the Georg Steindorff archive of Egyptian archaeology, purchased in 1952. This, along with the rest of the museum's holdings, became a part of what is today Bridwell Library's Special Collections.
The Original A. V. Lane Museum
|• About Us||• Reference and Research||• Circulation||• Special Collections||• Methodist Studies|