CUL Digital Collections
Europe, Asia, and Australia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints
About the Collection
Europe, Asia, and Australia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints digital collection provides a sampling of the holdings related to Europe, Asia, and Australia in SMU's DeGolyer Library.
In general, collecting at the DeGolyer Library emphasizes the U.S. West, exploration, business history and transportation, particularly the railroads. Many of the photographs, albums, and materials shown here depict railroad and shipping throughout Europe and Asia, from the 1850s through the turn of the century. More items will be added as materials are scanned.
DeGolyer Library digital collections are part of CUL Digital Collections, which contain thousands of digitized photographs, manuscripts, imprints, and works of art held by SMU's Central University Libraries special collections.
Holdings and Highlights
In the Europe, Asia, and Australia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints digital collection, the DeGolyer Library has made available a growing number of its accessions:
- Aanleg Cheribon - Kroja, Java, an album containing 98 photographs documenting the construction of the railway line between the cities of Cirebon and Kroya, in Java, Indonesia. Each photograph is presented separately in high resolution; the full album is available as a .pdf.
- Asiatic Mirror: a newspaper written in English that originated from Calcutta, India, known today as Kolkata. Dates for newspapers in the collection range sequentially from July 14, 1813, through November 17, 1813. Newspaper entries focus on topics such as legislative actions taken in the British House of Lords, world events including excerpts from other national papers, and global military actions such as the capture of American frigates.
- Bengal-Nagpur Railway, 1890, the first album (Album 1) in a two-album set depicting the construction of the Bengal-Nagpur Railway, ca. 1890-1897. Album 1 contains 45 albumen prints mounted one to a page, with large-format views of railroad and bridge construction showing tracks, tunnels, landscapes, Indian workers, ships, and British engineers in India. A related pamphlet was also uploaded, Bengal-Nagpur Railway: Its History and Development. Parts I. and II.
- Bossoli's Views in The Crimea. / Brierly's Marine & Coast Sketches of the Black Sea &c.
- Collection of photographs of Spain and Malta
- Der Vormarsch der Flieger Abteilung 27 in der Ukraine: portfolio containg 263 photographs documenting the advance of the German Flight Squadron 27 in the Ukraine during the Spring and Summer of 1918 at the close of World War I. The photographs depict German aviation and aerial photography from the Eastern Front. Both the full portfolio and the 263 individual photos, scanned at a higher resolution, are available.
- Feldbahn-Uebung, Uelzen-Celle, 1892: portfolio documenting the railroad and military operations along the route from the German towns of Uelzen to Celle via the Feldbahn narrow gauge military railway.
- Hamburg-Amerika Line ships: 16 photographs by Louis Koch, ca. 1888-1894, showing the German luxury passenger ships ''Augusta Victoria'', ''Columbia'' and ''Normannia''
- Hardinge Bridge Construction, India: online are Album 3, containing 75 photographs, Album 4, containing 87 photographs, and Album 11, containing 42 photographs, from the set of 11 albums documenting the construction of Hardinge Bridge over the lower Ganges River at Sara, India (now Paksey, Bangladesh) on the Dhaka-Kolkata railway line.
- ''LE'', Lemberg Eisenbahn: album of 27 photographs, ca. 1868, by Schoon depicting the Lemberg-Czernowitz Railway, including the cities of Lemberg, Halicz, Kolomea, Stanislau, Czernowitz, and the Bystrzyza, Dniester and Pruth Rivers
- Photographs from Les travaux publics de la France par MM. F. Lucas et V. Fournie - Ed. Collignon - H. de Lagrene - Voisin Bey - E. Allard ..., including Les Travaux Publics de la France, Tome Premier: Routes et Ponts; Les Travaux Publics de la France, Tome Deuxieme: Chemins de Fer;
Les Travaux Publics de la France, Tome Troisieme: Rivieres et Canaux, Eaux des Villes - Irrigation et Assainissement des Terres; Les Travaux Publics de la France, Tome Quartieme: Ports de Mer; and Les Travaux de la France, Tome Cinquieme: Phares et Balises
- Photographs of Q.S.T.S. ''Lusitania'': 61 interior and exterior photographs of the Lusitania, ca. 1905-1907, by Bedford Lemere & Co.
- Photographs of Western India by William Johnson, ca. 1855-1862, including Photographs of Western India. Volume I. Costumes and Characters., Photographs of Western India. Volume II. Scenery, Public Buildings, and Photographs of Western India. Volume III. Scenery, Public Buildings, &c.
- Port of London, England, ca. 1802-1808
- Ricordo di Venezia Venice, Italy: 20 photographs of Venice, ca. 1880-1890, by Paolo Salviati
- R.M.S. Mauretania: 51 interior and exterior photographs, ca. 1900-1909, of the luxury passenger ship, Mauretania
- Sir Ellice Victor Elias Sassoon papers and photographs, including the albums: Shanghai, 1936-1937, album (Box 4, Album 1); Shanghai, ca. 1937, album (Box 4, Album 3); Landscapes, China and India, 'Eves' and Garden, 1937, album (Box 5, Album 1); Lucas Twins and Others, 1936-1939, album (Box 5, Album 2); and China and Second Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1939, album (Box 5, Album 3).
- The Cunard Express Steamer "Lusitania" pamphlet, 1906
- The Seat of War in the East ... 1st-2d series., ca. 1855-1856, 81 lithographic prints and 36 sketches by William Simpson depicting various aspects and military campaigns/battles during the Crimean War.
- Views of the Chinese Eastern Railway album, ca. 1903-1919, containing 42 photographs
- Views of the Nikolaev Railway: a.lbum of 47 photographs, ca. 1855-1864, by I. Goffert comemorating the railroad line between St. Petersburg and Moscow that was opened in 1851.
- Views of Mount Morgan, Australia, ca. 1902-1909, an album of Mount Morgan Mine, showing 34 views of the mines, mining equipment, mining structures, reduction works, workers and town.
- Zur Erinnerung an die Eröffnung der Staats-Eisenbahn (The Imperial-Royal State Railway from Ljubljana to Trieste), a portfolio of 14 lithographs commemorating the opening of the Sudbahn from Ljubljana, Slovenia, to Trieste, Italy, by Emperor Franz Joseph I on July 27, 1857.
Europe, Asia, and Australia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints is one of a family of digital collections from the DeGolyer Library that focuses on regional coverage of areas around the world.
Digital Collections Guidelines and Procedures
Items in Central University Library Digital Collections are digitized following the SMU Central University Libraries Digitization Guidelines and Procedures. Digital collections are created under the guidelines of the CUL Digital Collections: Filenaming, Workflow, and Metadata Guidelines, or through specialized metadata profiles tailored for the collection.
Copyright usage terms vary throughout the collection. Each item contains information about usage terms. If SMU does not have the right to publish the item on the Internet, only the item's metadata will be available and the digitized object will be available on a restricted access basis. Such items may only be viewed on campus. When items are available for use, please cite DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University. A high-quality version of these files may be obtained for a fee by contacting email@example.com.
For more information about the collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.