DeGolyer Material-in-Hand includes both DeGolyer materials
that have been paid for with the Procurement Card and DeGolyer materials that
have to be paid. This material, selected and prepared by the DeGolyer staff is brought
to Technology Services for the purpose of creating purchase orders (Procurement
Orders and Non-Procurement Orders). The following are steps for this process.
- Retrieve the correct bibliographic Acquisition Umbrella
Record (AUR) from the Voyager cataloging module. The bibliographic record
number for the AUR is written on the DeGolyer flag with the item or group
of items and is also written on the invoice with the material.
Check the items received against the information in the AUR. The 590
notes on the AUR may include “MATERIAL NOT RECEIVED.” The total number of
physical pieces with the invoice should match the total number of physical
pieces in the 300 field on the AUR in Voyager.
Add any additional pertinent information from the invoice to the
AUR in the 590 notes that would be unique to the order and helpful in
identifying the order that is not presently in the AUR.
- Complete the actions below for materials that must be
returned to DeGolyer such as designated ephemera, photographs, and archival
Photocopy the invoice.
- Check if the AUR number is on the copy. If not, add the
number. This is important because records cataloged outside Technology
Services need to contain the 910 field linking the record to the AUR.
- Write “COPY” in large letters across the copy of the
- Write “Returned to” and the location to where material is
being sent next to the item on the copy of the invoice.
- Return the copy of the invoice and the material to the
appropriate staff person in DeGolyer.
Create Purchase Order
Use the AUR number in searching the Voyager cataloging module for
the bibliographic record to create the line item of the purchase order.
- Write the purchase order number in red on the upper right
corner of the invoice for Procurement Orders after creating the purchase
order. Write the purchase order number in pencil on the upper right
corner of the invoice for Non-Procurement Orders.
- Suppress the holdings records. Location for all holdings
should only be deg. The AUR should already be suppressed.
- Place materials for cataloging in designated DeGolyer
Preparation for Cataloging
- Search items in Voyager.
- Duplicates: Add duplicate titles as add copies unless
the cost of an individual title is over $100. In that situation first consult
with the director of the DeGolyer Library.
- Exception: For groups of ephemeral pamphlets such as
promotional cookery booklets that will be cataloged as a collection, or
materials that need evaluation for collection level cataloging, give them
to a DeGolyer professional cataloger without searching for individual
records. Make sure that the items have their corresponding location
flags with the AUR numbers.
- Add the letters “DG” and the AUR number to the individual
bibliographic record in the 910 field.
910_ _ |a DG1234567
- Link added volumes and copies to the AUR.
- Add the 910 field to an existing bibliographic record for
the first volume/issue of a multipart title (set, serial, periodical) or
an added copy.
- Add subsequent AUR record numbers to bibliographic
records with an existing 910 field. Separate each number with a space
910_ _ |a DG1234567 ; DG7654321
- For titles placed in the storage area, add the note
"|z Copy Received as of [date]. Select Request button to see
options." to the 852 field on the holdings record.
- Write the bibliographic number on the location flag in the
books before placing the uncataloged items in the DeGolyer storage area.
- "MATERIAL NOT RECEIVED." As materials are
received, remove the note from the AUR and follow the process above.
- Other status notes.
- Add a note to the relevant AUR 590 note to describe other
actions taken. Possible actions include items removed from the
cataloging process to be placed in an exhibit or items found to be
damaged at the point of cataloging. Other notes describe where material
is being sent that is not cataloged by Technology Services. These
locations include deg,mss, deg,eph, and deg,graph. Capitalize the first
word that describes the action taken with the material.
590_ _ |a
6547074084 : 1854 poetry album, Galveston Texas :
UNCATALOGED, in exhibit until Oct. 28th per R.M.
590_ _ |a Catalogue 124 Item 64:
Art Loan Exhibition : US$50.00 : RETURNED to deg,eph
Update status notes when the original action is overridden as
when an item used in an exhibit is returned for cataloging.