Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of paid/unpaid, job protected leave after the employee has completed one year of employment, or 1,250 hours of service over the previous 12 months.
FMLA Leave may be used to receive or to provide care for the following:
- Newborn child, recently adopted child, or a child recently placed with you for foster care.
- Spouse, domestic partner, child, or parent, who has a serious health condition.
- Your own serious health condition that prevents you from performing your job.
- Care for an Armed Forces family member who became injured or ill while on active duty.
- Time off when a qualifying employee's family member is called to active duty.
Where both the mother and father work for SMU, their combined total FMLA leave may not exceed 12 weeks during a calendar year.
Visit the Human Resources website for more details. You will find a link in the Helpful Links section.