Changing Your Benefits Elections
The next opportunity you have to change your benefits choices is during open enrollment each Fall. Outside of the Open Enrollment period, you may only make changes if you experience a Qualified Life Event.
Click on the following links to learn more:
- What is a Qualified Life Event?
- What should I do if I have a Qualified Life Change Event?
What is a Qualified Life Change Event?
Qualified Life Events include the following:
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Death of a spouse or other eligible dependent
- Enrollment in (or loss of) state or federal medical coverage
- Change in your spouse’s or child's employment resulting in new eligibility or loss of eligibility for benefits.
What should I do if I have
a Qualified Life Change Event?
You must notify the Department of Human Resources immediately. You have 31 days from the event date to make the necessary changes to your Benefits elections via Access.SMU Self Service.