Changing Your Benefits Elections
The next opportunity you have to change your benefits choices is during Open Enrollment each Fall. Outside of the Open Enrollment period, you may only make changes if you experience a Qualified Life Change Event.
Click on the following links to learn more:
- What is a Qualified Life Event?
- What should I do if I have a Qualified Life Event?
What is a Qualified Life Event?
Qualified Life Events include, but are not limited to the following:
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Death of a spouse or other eligible dependent
- Enrollment in (or loss of) state or federal medical coverage
- Change in your spouse’s or child's employment resulting in new eligibility or loss of eligibility for benefits
What should I do if I have
a Qualified Life Event?
You must notify the Department of Human Resources immediately in order for them to initiate the process in Access.SMU>Self Service. At that time you will receive additional instructions on how to proceed. You have 31 days from the event date to make the necessary changes to your Benefits elections.