Vacation and Official Holidays
SMU also offers vacation and official holidays to all staff.
Rollover each number below to learn more:
Visit the Benefits U section of the HR website for more details. You will find a link in the Helpful Links section.
You accrue Vacation Leave according to your scheduled hours and your pay group, beginning on your first day of employment. After six months of continuous service, you can begin using your accrued Vacation Leave with the approval of your supervisor.
- Pay Grade IV: From date of eligibility 10 days; after 5 years 15 days; after 15 years 20 days.
- Pay Group V (Principal Administrative Officers, Senior Administrative and Professional Staff): From date of eligibility 15 days; after 5 years 20 days.
Use them or lose them! If you have accumulated more than two times the amount you’re eligible to accrue in a year, your balance will be reduced to twice the maximum annual accrual.
You can check the number of vacation days you have accrued by viewing your pay statement in Employee Self Service located in the my.SMU.edu website.
2. Official Holidays
SMU observes the following holidays each year:
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day (plus one or two additional days)
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King’s Birthday
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
Extra holidays may be designated each year, and in some fiscal years, a floating holiday may be designated. A schedule of holidays is distributed each Spring for the upcoming University fiscal year (June – May).
Note: Part-time staff receive regular pay if they are scheduled to work on that holiday.