Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 51     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

attraction of the night.  It was a marvelous display of muscular power and of indelicacy.  The farce, "Raising the Wind," a stupid affair; it hardly raised a laugh.  The building immense in its dimensions, and splendid in its decorations.

Tuesday, December 29, 1835

Called to see Arthur H. Wallace, where I found A. D. Kelly, who goes into partnership in the house on 1st of January.  A. H. Wallace says he means to live in Louisville.  He will leave the business there in charge of his brother, T. H. Wallace, and Kelly.  He wishes also to establish a house in Vicksburg, and spoke of trying to get H. H. Wallace, of Fredericksburg, to come out and take charge of it.  Called to see Wm. Lambeth; not in.  Capt. John Barker is his clerk.  The firm is Lambeth & Thompson.  Thompson is a son of Jonah Thompson, of Alexandria, D. C.  Called and left my card at Dr. E. H. Barton's who I afterwards met in the street.  Called to see Dr. W. Bird Powell, who is Professor of Chemistry in the Medical College here, and invited me to his lecture in the evening.  Dined with Jere. Morton and wife, at Mrs. Hagerty's.  At the table saw the celebrated Clara Fisher, and Miss Philips.  Walked with Morton to the Catholic cemetery, a burying place, or rather a city of splendid palaces for the dead.  Had not time to examine it; ought to devote a day to it.  At 5 o'clock walked with Mrs. Barton and Miss Connoly to hear Dr. Powell's lecture; took tea with them, and accompanied them to the Lyceum, where Seth Barton was to deliver an address, and a discussion to be had on the old question of capital punishments vel non.  Seth Barton excused himself from speaking on the score of indisposition.  The debaters were Mr. Duncan and Mr. Wharton, my quondam stage companion in crossing the mountains, pro, and Dr. Powell, con.  The Doctor had the best of the argument, but the whole affair, so so.

Wednesday, December 30, 1835

Jere Morton started today in the steamboat ----- to Vicksburg, then to cross over through Mississippi and Alabama to Mobile and return here.  His wife and child remain here until his return.  Geo. A. Smith went up Red River.  Called to see Robt. Marye, and dined with him.  His sister, Mrs. Blackwell, keeps house for him.  They live on upper Levee Street No. -----.  He keeps a dry goods store.  He has one son, a fine looking youth, who has just returned from Kenyon College.  Mrs. Blackwell has two boys.

There are several Texians lodging here; among them is Col. A. Houston,[ 8]  who is a member of the provisional government of Texas and Quartermaster General of the army.  He is here awaiting the arrival of the Commissioners, Gen'l Austin, Dr. Archer and Col. Wharton.[ 9]  I have had several conversations with him [Huston].  He is confident that Texas will maintain itself against Santana;

Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 51     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

The Diary of William Fairfax Gray, from Virginia to Texas, 1835-1837
Copyright 1997 William P. Clements Center for Southwest Studies
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas