Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 184     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

of the drivers agreed to take us on until he should meet the stage coming from Bedford, whose regular business it is to take us on.  A few miles on the road we met the stage, which took us in, and in which we reached Bedford about sundown.  Here we encountered Mr. Carpenter and family, of Mississippi, who had one of the extra stages.

Thursday, June 23rd, 1836

Left Bedford as soon as we could change stages, about sunrise.  A pretty place.  Could see nothing of the famous watering place, which takes its name from the town.  Arrived at Chambersburg late in the afternoon.  The mail stage in which we should have gone on to Baltimore had left several hours before, and after getting dinner we continued on to Gettysburg, leaving Chambersburg about night.

Friday, June 24, 1836

After a most unpleasant ride, reached Gettysburg this morning about 2 o'clock.  No stage to take us on to Baltimore.  A most uncomfortable place, and a surly, disobliging tavern keeper.  Told us there was no chance of getting on until 5 o'clock the next evening.  So here are the fifty-two hours exhausted, and I am still thirty odd miles from Baltimore, and not likely to reach it for twenty-four hours yet to come.  Got to bed a little before day, tired, with a bad cold, disappointed, and out of humor.

After breakfast I walked out to see the town, and in conversation with the editor of a newspaper, who is a nephew of the late Judge White of Virginia, I learned that a stage left Gettysburg this morning at 5 o'clock for Fredericktown, which would connect with the railroad line for Baltimore, and put passengers into that city before night.  So here is a fine chance lost, but the policy of my landlord, who being a proprietor of the People's Line, kept me in ignorance of the Frederick stage, which started from another tavern.  A vile imposition of a vile publican.

In the course of the forenoon Carpenter came along in his extra, and finding my situation, politely offered me a seat with his family, which I accepted, and by that means reached Baltimore about 11 o'clock at night.  By the agreement with the agent in Pittsburg I ought to have reached it twenty hours sooner at least.  The whole trip has been one of disappointment and discomfort.  The weather was cold and wet, and my cold caused me to suffer much.  I lost my great-coat on the Ohio, and suffered for want of it.  Stopt at Barnum.

Saturday, June 25, 1836

Left Baltimore in the 9 o'clock cars, and reached Washington at noon.  Here

Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 184     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

The Diary of William Fairfax Gray, from Virginia to Texas, 1835-1837
Copyright 1997 William P. Clements Center for Southwest Studies
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas