Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 231n     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

venture, in October of 1830 (see note 19 below for a discussion of its activities). Reichstein, Rise of the Lone Star, pp. 50-51, 100.

7. [p.50]  Carson was correct about army disorganization, but his evaluation of Houston was somewhat overstated, as Gray suspected. Governor Henry Smith appointed Houston to the post of major general of the regular army in November, 1835, but the men of the volunteer force refused to surrender their democratic organization to the discipline of a regular army structure. The Texas government would not compel the citizen soldiers to submit to re-organization, and Houston thus remained a commander without an army. He failed again to correct the chaotical state of the forces that concentrated near Goliad in January, 1836, and then left to parlay with the Indians of East Texas in February. All the leaders of the various Texas units had popularity with some soldiers but neither the support nor the authority to command the whole. This problem improved somewhat during March and April of 1836, but the army never fully yielded to discipline or coherent structure. Lack, Texas Revolutionary Experience, pp. 110-136.

8. [p.51]  Almanzon Huston (Gray's manuscript misspells the name Houston) was born in New York on October 22, 1799, and moved to San Augustine sometime before 1832, where he operated an inn until 1851. He served as a delegate to the Consultation in November, 1835, and as a member of the Council he helped draw up plans for Texas military organization. On November 14, 1835, Huston received an appointment as quartermaster general with the rank of colonel. He travelled to New Orleans on December 8, 1835, with the Texas commissioners and managed to purchase at least $14,000 in supplies once funding became available. He returned to Nacogdoches in early March, 1836, and reported to General Sam Houston on the Colorado River on the 25th of that month. On April 1, 1836, at Brazoria he oversaw shipment of the "Twin Sisters" artillery pieces which played a role in the battle of San Jacinto. Continuing in the quartermaster's office until March 18, 1837, Huston went to New Orleans again before setting up operations at Quintana near the Texas coast. He died at San Augustine in 1861. Vertical Files, Revised Handbook of Texas, Texas State Historical Association, Austin, Texas.

9. [p.51]  Stephen F. Austin, Branch T. Archer, and William H. Wharton went to New Orleans as the first stop of a journey to obtain funds, recruits, supplies, and diplomatic recognition in the United States. Austin and Wharton had only recently smoothed over their differences as factional leaders in Texas politics (at the head of the "peace" and "war" parties). Austin did not make a public endorsement of independence until arriving on this diplomatic journey that Gray witnessed. Archer, though associated with the Wharton faction, had urged an end to party feelings during his service as presiding officer at the Consultation

Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 231n     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

The Diary of William Fairfax Gray, from Virginia to Texas, 1835-1837
Copyright 1997 William P. Clements Center for Southwest Studies
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas