Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 237n     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

8. [p.66]  William G. Logan (ca. 1811-1836), was born in Glasgow, Kentucky, and became a merchant in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in 1831. He moved to Nacogdoches in 1835 as partner in a mercantile enterprise with Henry Raguet. An active participant in the local Committee of Vigilance and Safety, he died in Natchitoches, Louisiana, on April 23, 1836. Vertical Files, Revised Handbook.

9. [p.67]  The manuscript has this name as G. C. Lawhon, but in all likelihood, this person is Dr. John C. Lawhon, the brother of David A. Lawhon, who published the Nacogdoches newspaper Texian and Emigrant's Guide. The brothers lived in Natchitoches, Louisiana, until emigrating to Texas around November, 1835. Vertical Files, Revised Handbook.

10. [p.67]  This letter would be of little value to Gray because Governor Smith had been impeached on January 11, 1836, after a lengthy confrontation with the Council. Lack, Texas Revolutionary Experience, pp. 58-60.

11. [p.67]  Gray subscribed to $10,000 of the $200,000 Texas loan on January 12, 1836. Binkley, Official Correspondence, vol. 1, p. 287.

12. [p.67]  This incident occurred during the week before Christmas. Its leaders apparently argued that the revolution had moved too fast and far from support of the 1824 constitution. Austin was not directly involved and, in fact, regarded it as another evil example of disunity. Lack, Texas Revolutionary Experience, pp. 72-73.

13. [p.67]  William Richardson was surgeon of the Texas Army from October 23, 1835, until his resignation on February 4, 1836. Webb, Handbook, vol. 2, p. 471.

14. [p.67]  Charles Edward Hawkins was an experienced sailor, having entered the U.S. Navy in 1818 at age eighteen with the rank of midshipman. Finding little chance for promotion, Hawkins followed David Porter into the Mexican Navy in 1826 and commanded a vessel that functioned in a privateer-like capacity in the Caribbean, preying on Spanish commerce to Cuba. He resigned his Mexican commission in 1828, returned to the U. S., and became involved with the schemes of José Antonio Mexia that culminated in the Tampico expedition of November, 1835. Hawkins survived, made his way to Texas, and received an appointment as commander of the former revenue cutter Ingham, refitted and recommissioned as the Independence. In October, 1836, he became commodore of the Texas Navy but died from smallpox on February 12, 1837, in New Orleans. James M. Denham, "Charles E. Hawkins: Sailor of Three Republics," pp. 92-101.

15. [p.69]  Gray also mailed a letter home on this day, and the mood it conveyed was optimistic. He "wrote in better spirits of his prospects, than I have ever known him to do before," observed his wife, "and everybody seems to think he is in a fair way to make a fortune." Millie Gray Diary, p. 72.

16. [p.73]  Early settlers in the area of what became Kiomatia and Jonesboro beginning

Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 237n     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

The Diary of William Fairfax Gray, from Virginia to Texas, 1835-1837
Copyright 1997 William P. Clements Center for Southwest Studies
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas