Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 238n     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

in about 1816 crossed the river back and forth with some uncertainty about whether they were residing in Texas or Arkansas territory. The tributaries of the Red and Brazos rivers do not mingle in the way that Gray asserts. Webb, Handbook, vol. 1, p. 963.

17. [p.73]  Agustín Viesca led the federalist cause in the state of Coahuila and Texas but was replaced in the spring of 1835 by centralist forces under Martín Perfecto de Cos. Viesca's popularity in Texas was hurt by his vacillation during the government crisis and by association with speculative land sales, and he was disappointed at failing to be received as governor upon arrival in Goliad in November. Viesca quickly passed through Texas. Political Chief Henry Rueg urged resistance to Santa Anna in the summer of 1835 but soon lapsed into a public position of non-commitment. His influence then declined despite supporting the provisional government of Texas once war began in October. He moved to Natchitoches to more or less acquire a safe vantage point to observe events. Lack, Texas Revolutionary Experience, pp. 19-22, 29, 46, 56, 64-65, 175.

18. [p.74]  Albert Clinton Horton (1798-1865) had twice been a representative in the Alabama legislature before moving to Texas in April 1835. In February of 1836 he raised a company at Matagorda that served in Fannin's command. He subsequently returned to politics, becoming the first lieutenant governor of the state of Texas. Vertical Files, Revised Handbook.

19. [p.74]  In late 1835 merchant William C. Logan purchased the press of Milton Slocum and recruited David E. Lawhon, a printer from Tennessee on route to join the Texas army, to remain at Nacogdoches and run the press. The last extant issue of the paper was published on January 2, 1836. Marilyn McAdams Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War, pp. 72-73.

20. [p.76]  Hugh McLeod served from March 7, 1836, to December 21, 1837. Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835-1888, p. 462.  L. W. Kemp asserted that the dates of the bounty grant were incorrect and that McLeod was in Georgia at the end of June, 1836. A more recent work indicates that he was a recent graduate of West Point holding the rank of 2nd Lt. and that he had decided to resign his command while in Macon, Georgia, in November of 1835 in order to fight in Texas. McLeod came to Texas on a ten-day leave of absence and commanded a company of thirty volunteers, possibly his company in the U. S. army, in protection of civilians in Nacogdoches during the Runaway Scrape of March and April, 1836. Bill and Marjorie K. Walraven, The Magnificent Barbarians: Little-Told Tales of the Texas Revolution, pp. 118-9.

21. [p.76]  Born in Marlboro, Massachusetts, on July 23, 1805, and orphaned at the age of sixteen, Sherman was a merchant before building a cotton bagging plant in Newport, Kentucky, on December 18, 1835. He equipped a company of fifty

Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 238n     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

The Diary of William Fairfax Gray, from Virginia to Texas, 1835-1837
Copyright 1997 William P. Clements Center for Southwest Studies
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas