Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 254n     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

500,000 acres of land at $.50 per acre. The sticky point at the Convention concerned a provision in this agreement giving the bondholders priority in locating these lands over other public or private sales. Gray had subscribed to $10,000 on these terms; his business associates Robert Triplett and Thomas D. Carneal had purchased $100,000 and $40,000 respectively, 10% of which they advanced at the time of purchase in New Orleans. The lenders then bound themselves not to sell their rights for less than $1.25 per acre. Triplett offered to compromise on the priority question, but the Convention adjourned without resolving the matter and delegated it to Interim President Burnet and his Cabinet. This group refused to ratify the loans and worked out a deal with Triplett to surrender the priority right in return for an additional thirty-two leagues of land. Several of the bondholders accepted these terms on May 25, 1836, but bickering continued until the Texas Congress on June 3, 1837, and May 24, 1838, appropriated land at $.50 per acre to repay the loans. Barker, "Finances," pp. 626-32.

23. [p.125]  Most likely either Boland or Henry Whitesides, from an Old Three Hundred family that received land in present Grimes and Brazos counties in 1824, the year of their emigration from Kentucky. Webb, Handbook, vol. 2, p. 899.

24. [p.126]  Houston's army added volunteers during March and April, but it also suffered losses as men departed to provide for their families or in discontent at the strategy of retreat. Although some estimates place the maximum strength at 1,600, only about half that number fought on the Texas side at San Jacinto. Both the Texas and Mexican armies crossed the Brazos river April 11-13. The town of Washington was evacuated on March 20, 1836. Lack, Texas Revolutionary Experience, p. 125; Webb, Handbook, vol. 2, p. 865.

25. [p.128]  Edwin Morehouse was born in 1801 in New York, moving to Texas in 1826 by way of Missouri. Granted a commission as a major on November 21, 1835, he returned to New York to raise volunteers, bringing them to Texas on the brig Matamoras, which debarked at Columbia on April 6, 1836. His 110 troops assisted families fleeing in the Runaway Scrape. Ordered by Houston to Fort Bend to assist Wiley Martin's defense of the lower Brazos crossings, he found Martin already departed from this position. Morehouse arrived at San Jacinto too late to fight in the battle. The unit remained in service until May, 1837, with Morehouse rising to the rank of colonel. He resigned the Texas Senate seat he had been elected to on December 22, 1836, to become adjutant general of the army on appointment by President Houston. In 1838 he was promoted to brigadier general of the second brigade of the state militia and remained on active duty throughout the Republic period. Morehouse died in Houston in 1849. Vertical Files, Revised Handbook.

26. [p.128]  Thomas Jefferson Green, born in 1802, attended West Point before becoming a member of the General Assembly of North Carolina in 1823. Following

Go to Page | Index | Cont. | 254n     | Notes | Biblio. | Page- | Page+

The Diary of William Fairfax Gray, from Virginia to Texas, 1835-1837
Copyright 1997 William P. Clements Center for Southwest Studies
Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas